Friday, May 27, 2011

Is Summer Really Coming?



May 27th - WOW! Feels more like March 27th. BRRR!

Well, the dew on the bearded iris leaves called me outside on this wet morning (above). And when I ventured out, I noticed that the small, dark-purple iris (not sure of the genus name) is just beginning to unfurl it's tight blossoms. The larger bearded iris won't be out for at least another week or longer...but it's nice to see the little one starting to open up.



The deep purple colour on the little iris reminded me about my Columbine (Aquilegia vulgaris). Again, they seem to be opening up a lot later this year as compared to last. I saved seed from them last year, and meant to start them indoors in March - but just didn't get around to it. I will save again this year and maybe just "broadcast" seed the ones I kept from last year to see what I get come up? According to WestCoast Seeds they are "easy" to grow and can be sown outside when the soil warms up (when the HECK is that going to be?) I also learned that Columbine make pretty cut flowers - you can clip the top flowers once the lower ones have begun to open up.



Together with the little dew drops on the iris leaves, these Columbine petals always remind me of "fairies" or of some little miniature world. Hope you enjoyed a WET look at my garden this morning. With an improvement in the weather, I hope to get out tomorrow and take some pictures of the vegetable garden; you Southerners can laugh at what little we have up, in the North :)

Come grow with me...

No comments:

Post a Comment